Pages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Baby it's cold outside {and a recipe}


Wow.... can I just say I am so not used to this 10° weather at night!! We recently upgraded to some really nice heaters downstairs and yet we woke up to 64° inside. I know that's not THAT cold but I like my 70 degree home!!
 
In our house Sunday is "Soup Sunday" in the fall and winter. I happen to love this day because it usually means simmering soup in a crackpot and toasting up some crunchy bread which means EASY dinner night for chef mommy! We bought a butternut squash the other day and I have been waiting all week to make one of my all time favorite soups. Butternut Squash Soup (topped with parm and bacon) I was actually so excited that I prepped everything last night so I could make it early enough for the hubs to take to work! He isn't a big "squash fan" and really not even a lover of soup Sunday in general but even he liked this finished product! I'm sure the bacon had something to do with that.
 
I hope you all enjoy it as much as we did.
 
 
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH BACON & PARMESAN
 
 
image
 
 
Ingredients:
 
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into cubes
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 pieces of bacon
  • 1/3 cup cream (optional)
  • Parmesan cheese to top
Instructions:
 
Melt the butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft ( about 4-5 mins) Add cubed squash and sauté for an additional 5 minutes. Next add in the broth, salt and pepper.  Cover and simmer on medium-low for about 25 minutes, or until squash has softened.
Meanwhile, fry the bacon in a separate skillet until crispy.  Drain on a paper towel.
 
Once the squash has softened, puree the soup with either an immersion blender, or transfer to a food processor or standing blender. When smooth return to pot and stir in cream. 
 
Serve in bowls with shredded parmesan cheese and bacon on top.
 
 
Enjoy, and stay warm my friends!
 

 

  

  
 
 
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content A Dash of Time | Design Poppiness Designs